Each visit to London is more rewarding than the next. This cultural city center is packed with history and art, parks and beauty. You can absorb a lot just by driving through the city streets in a taxi cab, but make sure that on your vacation you visit these ten places on foot before you leave.
1. The British Museum has millions of items and artifacts to peruse. What started as Sir Hans Sloan`s collection of 71,000 items in 1753 has blossomed into one of the biggest storehouses of ancient artifacts in the world. Best of all, admission to this venerable museum remains free of charge.
2-Hour British Museum Guided Tour – $27.78
2. Saint Paul`s Cathedral is one of Great Britain`s most beautiful spiritual centers. Although it is a historic building (rebuilt in 1666 after the Great London Fire), it is still home to modern weddings and funerals. Living members of British royalty and national leaders have held ceremonies there.
3. The Tower of London is a fascinating step back into time. Here, you can be horrified by the dungeons and you can marvel at the Queen`s Jewels. Try not to imagine too much of the Tower`s deadly history though, or you might have nightmares.
4. The Natural History Museum is a great place to take children, because of its treasure trove of dinosaur bones. Kids and adults alike will love roaming the halls of this museum, checking out its many collections in its gothic hallways.
5. Westminster Abbey is one of London`s most famous and beautiful churches, but it is most famous for its dead residents. Take a walking tour of the abbey and hear about all the famous literati who are buried within its walls.
Westminster Abbey Admission Ticket – $26.84
6. The Tate Modern is the best place to see modern art in London. The Tate houses paintings by such 20th century masters as Matisse, Warhol, Bacon, and many more.
7. The London Zoo houses over 12,000 animals within its gates. This is not one of the world`s most famous zoos for no reason. There are so many animals, that you cannot see them all in one day. Plan on taking a few trips to absorb all the fauna.
London Zoo Admission Ticket – $32.61
8. The London Eye is an observation wheel high above the city that allows visitors to London to get a bird`s eye view of the landscape below. The Eye is host to millions of visitors a year and is the best way for a tourist to get the lay of the land. Sightseeing will be much more fun once you have seen the whole city from above.
London Eye Admission Ticket – $30.86
9. The National Gallery is a museum of both ancient and modern masters. You can spend hours roaming through the halls of this 19th century museum. Its location is also ideal – you can find the National Gallery in the center of Trafalgar Square.
10. The Madame Tussaud`s Experience is one that can`t be missed when you travel to London. This is as close as a tourist can get to living history. Historical people and events are recreated in wax and animatronics. Be prepared to be surprised and enthralled by their realistic qualities.
Top attractions in London
Big Ben is a nickname of Elizabeth Tower, previously called the Clock Tower and it is a part of Westminster Palace. It is unmissable landmark and widely recognizable symbol of …
The London Eye is very popular attraction in London, located on the western end of Jubilee Gardens (previously the site of the former Dome of Discovery), on the South Bank …
The Tower of London, officially known with full name as Her Majesty’s Royal Palace and Fortress of the Tower of London, is a historic castle located on the north bank …
More travel info about London and the UK
London, the capital of the United Kingdom (and of England), is a modern city, but with history stretching back to 1st century. Reminders of rich history are the Houses of …
The United Kingdom (UK) consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, each of them with distinguished geographies. England is the home of London, a global financial and cultural centre …
Top hotels in London
With Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square tube stations just 4 minutes walk away, The Piccadilly London West End is an ideal destination for leisure and …
Stop at The Langham London Hotel to discover the wonders of London. The property features a wide range of facilities to make your stay a …
Corinthia Hotel London is a popular choice amongst travelers in London, whether exploring or just passing through. The hotel offers guests a range of services …
Conrad London St James is located within Queen Anne's Chambers, less than a 5-minute walk from Westminster Abbey and Big Ben.
The 5-star The Goring Hotel offers comfort and convenience whether you`re on business or holiday in London. Featuring a complete list of amenities and services.
Located in The City, Cheval Three Quays at the Tower of London is a perfect starting point from which to explore London. Featuring a complete …
Cheap flights and hotels discounts for London
Last Updated on by